Monday, January 18, 2016

Comet Catalina (Not Amateur Radio)


Yesterday I worked UN9LCW (Kazakhstan) on 20 m with JT9. But at night I was curious to watch the comet Catalina. You can find Catalina in the Big Dipper (northern sky). I made 2 photo's: yesterday and today. I must take a good look to see the difference.  Click to enlarge the picture. You can see a spot that moves up. That's comet Catalina. 
COMET CATALINA CLOSEST APPROACH TO EARTH: Discovered in 2013 by the Catalina Sky Survey, Comet Catalina (C/2013 US10) is making a one-time trip through the inner solar system. It swung around the sun last November and is now making its closest approach to Earth: 67 million miles away on Jan. 17-18. [Source: Spaceweather.com]
 I used my FZ1000 camera with 2 seconds exposure and ISO 3200. You can't see the tail because my camera is not sensitive enough and too much disturbing city lights. I also made a photo of the Orion Nebula.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, mooie foto's. Dat is nog eens een knap staaltje fotografie. Leuke info. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bas, dank je, sterrenkunde was een van mijn eerste hobby's, belangstelling nooit verloren. Alleen ik ga niet meer 's nachts met een verrekijker in de kou zitten. Nu beperkt de hobby zich tot foto's maken. 73 Paul

      Delete

Popular Posts