Thursday, March 28, 2013

Magnetic Loops minimizes electrical noise

Some of us, maybe most of us lives in a city environment, what means an electrical noise floor of S8 to S9 on HF bands. To hear weak QRP stations could be difficult. When I was on the island of Ameland a few years ago I noticed a low noise floor on HF, but now I realized I was using a magnetic loop as well. Maybe a combination of the two. So I consider a magnetic loop for HF to lower the static / electric noise. Most of the time I use ‘fixed’ frequencies for JT65, PSK31, JT9-1 and QRP CW frequencies. So constant tuning is not necessary. That could be the most annoying thing: constant tuning especially when you like to switch a lot from frequencies or band. Another thing: you can place a Magnetic Loop in the attic or bedroom, so pretty stealth for the neighbours. Or outside on a pole for those with little space in the backyard.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_antenna

5 comments:

  1. I have a magnetic loop in my attic as you probably know, Paul. It seems to pick up noise just as well as my dipole though.

    Julian G4ILO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julian, oh my... though I had good results on the island. But maybe more that I got rid of the city qrm. 73 Paul

      Delete
  2. I have a magnetic loop in my attic as you probably know, Paul. It seems to pick up noise just as well as my dipole though.

    Julian G4ILO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth considering at any rate. 73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dick, I will do some more research about it. 73 Paul

      Delete

Popular Posts