Sunday, January 13, 2013

CW on 80 m

Most of the time I do work digi modes on 80 meter. But not tonight. I was trying CW with 5 watts. I make one CQ call and voila... two stations came back for me. A RA3 and a YU station. Wow for me? Yes it was true. I worked LZ20TRC a special call but he took all the time to make a normal qso.

From the Ukraine I worked UT5UGR and OZ3NP from Denmark. With SQ0WOSP I had also a nice qso, even he was a special station. He was running 10 watts with a K2 and a delta loop antenna. It seems to be that the hams on 80 m CW take enough time for making a qso.

I left the method for calling CQ, now I use the secret weapon of John N8ZYA 'the chasing mode' and it works. Not calling endlessly on a qrp calling frequency, but look for other CQ calls and jump on it. I am amazed what John accomplished with his qrp station on 17 m. Read his blog about it. Well, that's all for today.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,
    I might also have to steal the secret weapon of John, find myself also calling cq with no luck at times.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim, I performed the secret weapon of John before, I don't know why I left it. When you search for stations with a good signal, they can hear qrp-ers most of the time. In instance I never tell that I am qrp-ing. I know, that is the main thing. 73 Paul

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul,
    I might also have to steal the secret weapon of John, find myself also calling cq with no luck at times.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Paul, those sure were some long CW call signs just not your average 3 of 4 letter ones. As for search and pounce such as John uses I do the same. Most of the time if I am calling CQ it's to see how I am doing on the RBN with my QRP signal.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, I think it's good method. 73 Paul

      Delete
  4. Good morning Paul, those sure were some long CW call signs just not your average 3 of 4 letter ones. As for search and pounce such as John uses I do the same. Most of the time if I am calling CQ it's to see how I am doing on the RBN with my QRP signal.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Paul, ik kan mij de TRC club van vroeger herinneren als CB club. Volgens mij was ik er zelfs lid van. Ik zie dat het nu meer een club van gelicenseerde amateurs is. Ach ja, die CBers daar zijn natuurlijk nu ook allemaal gelicenseerd. De condities lijken goed als ik dit zo lees, mooie contacten op 80m. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bas, ik had nog nooit van die club gehoord. Ja, de meeste van ons zijn als CB-er begonnen. ;-) 73 Paul

      Delete
  6. Hello Paul,

    Glad to see the "search and pounce" method is working for you. I'm always amazed when a long distance station comes back from my QRP signal. Some of the guys have REALLY big ears! BTW/ I worked into Russia this morning at 5,800 miles. My best yet and he heard me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, good result into Russia. Yes, the 'search and pounce' method really works good. The big guns do have good beams most of the time. So they can hear good. 73 Paul

      Delete
  7. Hello Paul,

    Glad to see the "search and pounce" method is working for you. I'm always amazed when a long distance station comes back from my QRP signal. Some of the guys have REALLY big ears! BTW/ I worked into Russia this morning at 5,800 miles. My best yet and he heard me just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts