Tuesday, October 23, 2012

New Record: 190.380 km per watt

It was another busy day. The kids are having autumn holidays, not much time for ham radio making qso’s. That means auto controlled radio such as WSPR. Technical improvements in ham software are challenging. We can feel nostalgic about old glowing and humming radio tubes. That’s okay, but the new thing is okay for me too. I was done with 5 watt QRO on WSPR. So today it was time for 50 mW into my end fed wire. My router has the same power. Hi. The moment I wrote this I was spotted by FR1GZ that’s 190.380 km per watt or 118.301 Miles per watt on the 10 meter band. That’s a new record for me with QRPp. QRPp is exciting, even with WSPR.

On 10 meter in the early hours I worked UK/UA1ZEY with CW. I think from Ukraine, but the qso was only a 599 TU.

Yesterday I was visiting a good friend of mine. An old radio from the fifties was playing outstanding jazz. The tubes were glowing yellow/red in the corner of the room. But... on the outside it was a real old radio, but inside it there was an iPod playing the music into hidden speakers. It was all make belief. In the footer of my blog you can read: “Life is too short not to enjoy it.” It was a saying of a 95 years old man. So enjoy whatever you want to do. Today it is WSPR, tomorrow CW, next week phone, who will say? Or a week without radio and spend time with the wife and kids, or playing with the grandchildren, or visiting and rag chew with real old friends and make an eyeball qso. Whatever, enjoy life.

The shack of IV3RJH

In the late afternoon I worked IV3RJH (599) and SM5CNQ (589) both 5 w QRP on 14060, I was running only 1 watt CW. Maybe I am QRV tonight on 40 meter with 1 watt.

Finally I worked GW0KIG Kevin tonight on 40 meter SSB. One of my blog friends. I never heard him before, now I heard him working, so I gave him a call and we had a nice short qso.

14 comments:

  1. Hallo Paul, wat een gein, die 50 mW. Kijk eens hoe laag je kunt gaan, dat is nog eens sport. Je blijft je verbazen! Ja opa, ineens ontdek je dat je van vele dingen kunt genieten. hi 73, Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hallo Bert, ja dat zijn toch leuke dingen. Het geeft wel veel voldoening als zo'n klein signaaltje ver weg wordt gehoord. 73 Paul

      Delete
  2. Hallo Paul,

    Je ziet maar weer, met klein vermogen kom je ook ver.
    Standaard gebruik ik voor 28Mhz WSPR 1-2W maar ook met een half watje lukt het nog. En jij zelfs met 50mW. Grandioos!
    Bijna iedereen zit WSPR te toeteren met 5W of meer. Zonde van de energie. Met JT65 wordt zelfs 20-50W gebruikt. Dat noemen ze weak signal operation.
    Ik heb testen gedaan met JT65. Ik kwam tot de ontdekking dat 5W meer dan genoeg is. Met meer vermogen kwam ik wel verder maar mijn ontvangst niet. Nu maak ik zelfs verbindingen met JT65 met 5W of 2,5W met ZL en VK en JA. Alles wat ik nu ontvang kan ik ook werken. QRP.... ik ben er verslaafd aan hi.

    73 Hans, PE1BVQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Hans, ja 5 watt is meer dan genoeg voor JT65. Ik kan ook VK en Aziƫ werken met 5 watt. Van de week zat een OE station volgens mij met groot vermogen te werken, distortion over het hele JT65 spectrum. En dat is vervelend voor de anderen. Op 40 meter is het soms moeilijk om USA te werken met 5 watt JT65, met 20 watt lukt het dan weer wel. 73 Paul

      Delete
  3. Hallo Paul,

    Je ziet maar weer, met klein vermogen kom je ook ver.
    Standaard gebruik ik voor 28Mhz WSPR 1-2W maar ook met een half watje lukt het nog. En jij zelfs met 50mW. Grandioos!
    Bijna iedereen zit WSPR te toeteren met 5W of meer. Zonde van de energie. Met JT65 wordt zelfs 20-50W gebruikt. Dat noemen ze weak signal operation.
    Ik heb testen gedaan met JT65. Ik kwam tot de ontdekking dat 5W meer dan genoeg is. Met meer vermogen kwam ik wel verder maar mijn ontvangst niet. Nu maak ik zelfs verbindingen met JT65 met 5W of 2,5W met ZL en VK en JA. Alles wat ik nu ontvang kan ik ook werken. QRP.... ik ben er verslaafd aan hi.

    73 Hans, PE1BVQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening Paul, that is a GREAT distance I have found working QRPp to be a hoot. It's very interesting to read that a router is only 50mW's of power. Have great enjoyable time at what ever you decide to do with the time....CW, Phone, WSPR and most of all the family.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, a new record is always a nice thing to achieve. Have a nice day. 73 Paul

      Delete
  5. Good evening Paul, that is a GREAT distance I have found working QRPp to be a hoot. It's very interesting to read that a router is only 50mW's of power. Have great enjoyable time at what ever you decide to do with the time....CW, Phone, WSPR and most of all the family.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul - good job with the Wspr! Re: activities with Ham - well your a bit like me - I have a go at most things, today listen to FOC CW net, then later some Wspr, then maybe a little digimodes, some tv and late evening Dx, who knows - we do what we do, Live !

    Rgds: Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peter, we do what ever we like. I am not a purist, when I want to do qrp I work qrp, when I need more power I crank up the power. PSK or JT65, wspr or ssb. AM or FM too. Just what comes in mind. 73 Paul

      Delete
  7. Hi Paul - good job with the Wspr! Re: activities with Ham - well your a bit like me - I have a go at most things, today listen to FOC CW net, then later some Wspr, then maybe a little digimodes, some tv and late evening Dx, who knows - we do what we do, Live !

    Rgds: Peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Paul,

    Very wise advice there....BTW/ I worked two in the Netherlands this morning on 12 meters. Thought of you and that great bike country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I hope to work you soon, because your antenna is doing a good job. 73 Paul

      Delete
  9. Hello Paul,

    Very wise advice there....BTW/ I worked two in the Netherlands this morning on 12 meters. Thought of you and that great bike country!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts