Monday, October 1, 2012

Geomagnetic Storm

DOUBLE IMPACT: Earth's magnetic field is reverberating in response to a pair of impacts on Sept. 30th. A weak interplanetary shock wave hit Earth at 10:25 UT followed by a stronger CME strike at approximately 22:30 UT. Observers in Norway are reporting significant ground currents, while the Arctic Circle is glowing with Northern Lights. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras, especially during the hours around local midnight. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Almost all HF bands were dead for SSB, PSK and CW signals this morning. I saw Aurora QSO's on 6 meter at DXMAPS.com. I tried JT65 on 40 meter, bingo! It's a really good mode when propagation is poor. I could work IZ0MIT and YL3DR. See below where I was reported:

Wow, not bad at all. Even in New Zealand. I also transmitted with PSK31, but I was not reported anywhere. So JT65 will be my standard mode when the sunspots are very low in a few years.

6 comments:

  1. Good morning Paul, very nice work with JT65 I am going to have to get the digi modes up and running here. Kinda get prepped for for when the sunspots start to take a dive. As for the atmospheric conditions I woke up to the alert on my Iphone regarding the poor conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, JT65 is suitable for QRP activities. With 5 watt you can work all continents. But less is also possible. 73 Paul

      Delete
  2. Vanmorgen nog met PSK63 1 QSO gemaakt met een croatisch eiland op 30m. Verder 3D2C heel zwak gehoord op 12m. Maar op 20m bijna niets, had S5 QRM iets wat hier bijna nooit voorkomt. Ook nog olivia geprobeerd maar ook dat ging niet. Tijd voor JT65....73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bas, dat is mooi dat je nog op 30 meter wat kon werken. Ik had op 40 meter met PSK CQ geroepen (diverse malen) maar zelfs PSK reporter gaf geen spots. Wat anders toch wel het geval is. Maar goed, JT65 spreekt voor zich. Met Olivia zijn volgens mij te weinig stations qrv. Dat geldt voor nog een dozijn digimodes. Alleen de meest gebruikte overleven de veelheid aan digimodes. PSK31 is de meest populaire. Ik denk dat RTTY en JT65 op een goede tweede komen. 73 Paul

      Delete
  3. GM Paul. I am pretty sure that I will be operating one of the digital modes from my USA QTH. Antenna restrictions and QRP required there. My larger computer will permit ops in those modes. Here in Benodet, the little acer notebook is not up to it. Plus other factors including a better antenna here don't make digital a necessity. 73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dick, yes, I understand. Here today it's raining very hard. A lot of water is coming down. Pull out the coax because of lightning. 73 Paul

      Delete

Popular Posts