Sunday, August 12, 2012

Perseid Meteor Shower

August 12, time for watching the Perseid Meteor shower. It was very clear, no clouds and I sat down in the garden together with my youngest son (12) at 3 o'clock this morning. We saw several nice meteors. After a half hour we got cold so we went inside. I turned on 6 meter and tuned for 50.230 MHz JT6M for meteor scatter. I received G1KAW/P (see picture) I did send a signal, but for meteor scatter you need a directional antenna and more output power. I do have only a 5/8 vertical. But it was nice to catch his signal by a meteor trail

On 40 meter in the early hours I worked NX8G with JT65. For the winter time en decreasing sun activity in a few years, 40 meter will my favourite spot. I worked some contest stations on 40 meter CW: KB1EFS, VE3NE, W9RE and N3RD. Good signals from over the pond.

While I was biking on vacation I saw this antenna. It looks like a radio telescope. At home I looked up in QRZ.com for more info. It was PA3CSG VHF, UHF, SHF and EME station. When I am with holidays I search and look always for antennas. I think you will do the same.

Yesterday I saw this wonderful picture of a sun rise on Mars. Wow. Have a nice Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. Good morning Paul, up at 3 in the morning sure is something but to have your son up as well....for me that would be a miracle to have my son up at that hour. During the week I am up at 4 in the morning each day and that is early enough for me. I too do the same when out and about....look for ham antennas. It's true that when away on vacation it's always good to get back home and into your own bed...or.....'lekker weer thuis
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, normally I can't get him out of the bed. But in a way he was very curious about the meteors. I am always out of bed around 6 o'clock. Maybe in the weekend 8 o'clock. And that's it. yes, my own bed is the best! Absolutely. I didn't sleep well on my vacation spot. 73 Paul

      Delete
  2. Good morning Paul, up at 3 in the morning sure is something but to have your son up as well....for me that would be a miracle to have my son up at that hour. During the week I am up at 4 in the morning each day and that is early enough for me. I too do the same when out and about....look for ham antennas. It's true that when away on vacation it's always good to get back home and into your own bed...or.....'lekker weer thuis
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Paul, geweldig die "vallende sterren". Had het er dit weekend nog over met m'n vader. Wij mochten altijd zo laat naar bed als we wouden als we jarig waren. Dat was voor mij altijd rond deze tijd. Ik kan me een nacht herinneren (denk dat ik ook 12 was) dat we een wandeling maakten en dat er echt elke minuut een vuurbal naar beneden kwam. Zo heb ik het daarna nooit meer gezien. Mooie foto van die parabool, ik zal ook eens letten op masten en antenne's op vakantie. Als ik dat al niet zou doen ;-). 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bas, dat zijn ervaringen die je als kind niet snel vergeet. In Thorn zat nog een amateur, die had een CP-6 op een hele lange dunne mast staan zonder tuidraden. Dat hoef ik aan de kust hier niet zo te doen. 73 Paul

      Delete

Popular Posts