Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Antipodal location

I was calling CQ this morning on 40 m (7076 KHz USB) with JT65 and 20 watts. And ZL3ADW came back fore me. Andrew White from Christchurch, New Zealand, an antipodal location fore me, 18671 km. Report for me -16 dB. That means that he could hear me with 2 watts also (see diagram below)

For JT65 is 20 watts enough to work the other side of the world. No need for more power. Higher power gives splatter on the small JT65 bandwidth. So 20 watts or less is enough. 5 watts should be the standard power to begin with. Most of the time it will be sufficient.

EA7GDC was eager to work Andrew also and interfered my qso and was calling him while Andrew was transmitting the last part of the qso to me. After all he was not successful. I have sent him an email about it. Update: he did send me an email back with apologies

It's good to see that I am in the log. Hi. What was propagation like?

Well, good, Solarflux 112. It's good to know.

11 comments:

  1. Nice going. To work any further you'll have to wait until someone puts on a DXpedition to the Moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julian, I am afraid that Neil Armstrong (RIP) will be last man on the moon for a very long time. The only way to go is to lower the power output. 73 Paul

      Delete
  2. Good morning Paul, very nice contact down into New Zealand. I have yet to get any digi going again here. It's good you sent an email and I too was having the same problem on the weekend. I was trying to contact some rare DX that just happen to be good signal into VE3WDM...but...someone decided they wanted to have their chance and proceeded to tune their amp up right over the DX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, that's not the way to do it. He will not like my email, I think, but I had to do it. One of the rules from the DX code of conduct: I will wait for the DX station to end a contact before I call. So... 73 Paul

      Delete
  3. Good morning Paul, very nice contact down into New Zealand. I have yet to get any digi going again here. It's good you sent an email and I too was having the same problem on the weekend. I was trying to contact some rare DX that just happen to be good signal into VE3WDM...but...someone decided they wanted to have their chance and proceeded to tune their amp up right over the DX.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, ZL op 40m. Is mij nog niet gelukt met JT65. Gefeliciteerd. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bas, was ook zelf zeer verrast, ik dacht eerst dat het Zuid Afrika was. Op eens realiseerde ik me dat het Nieuw Zeeland was. 73 Paul

      Delete
  5. Hallo Paul, verder gaat dan misschien niet, maar dit is al een resultaat om van te watertanden. Heel mooi resultaat, in het bijzonder op 40 m. 73, Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bert, ik vind 40 meter een erg leuke band. Altijd wel met verrassingen. Ik denk dat over een paar jaar de 40 meter band de belangrijkste band wordt als de zonnevlekken weer afnemen. 73 Paul

      Delete
  6. Hi Paul, it will be very interesting if you hear back from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, He did. He apologized for his behavior. A very nice email. 73 Paul

      Delete

Popular Posts