Sunday, April 1, 2012

Back to CW


I am back to CW, Why? It is a kind of magic. To hear weak CW in the noise, to pick them up, that special DXCC, especially on 10 and 6 meter. I don’t have that feeling with PSK or JT65. Maybe I am old fashion or old school. Grown up with CW, because we got that licence only when you done CW exam. In my early days I worked mainly CW. In those days you could choose CW or SSB that was it. Some did packed radio on 2 meter that was all. RF interference with SSB in neighbors equipment made me do more CW.

But not everybody was happy with CW. I know a guy who did CW exam for the 13th time before he passes the exam. Now he dropped CW forever. While I am writing this post I listen on 10 meter to 9J2BO straight key. Not a strong signal but I can copy most of it. On the video you see W5CYF starting with CW with slow speed, as we all did in the beginning. Never mind, just choose the speed you can handle, a good operator will come back with the same speed as you.

The best way to learn CW: just do it. Listen a lot to CW. It’s a matter of time when you can make something out of it. Don’t give up too soon. Once you learned the code, you will never forget.

7 comments:

  1. Good morning Paul, I have been 100 percent CW with some digi on the side. I can remember when I got my FT 1000MKmp and it was the weekend of the Canada day contest. I had 200 watts output with this rig and I was going to rock the SSB part of the contest. Well that came to an end when knocks at the door came. I was coming over radios and TV's in homes around me. It was then I went to 100 percent CW and QRP power. I have never looked back either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, similar to my situation then, I was running also 200 watts SSB. For a short time. ;-) 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Mike and Paul, my USA apartment is 100% cw QRP. Same reasons.

    I can get away with QRO without any RFI problems here but don't use it. 73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dick, low power is OK by me. 50 watts is a nice, just between qrp and qro. 73 Paul

      Delete
  4. Respect Paul, ik hoop het ooit nog eens te leren. Als er nou maar 2 modulaties waren op de radio SSB en CW dan had ik het allang geleerd. Maar er is zoveel om te ontdekken. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bas, er is nu keuze genoeg. En dat is natuurlijk ook leuk. CW is mijn oude liefde en dat gaat nooit over. 73 Paul

      Delete
  5. Hi Paul - Good post, yup Qrp is the way really - I did call 9J2BO on sunday am but there must have been a pile up, 9J2RI was also on 10m CW. I will only call x6 times then tune away, save it for another day, pointless calling and calling some of these guys call without listening and "Double up" the key is "LISTEN".
    W5CYF - I remember my first CW attempts, pretty much the same, sending stuff at the wrong time and getting in a mess ! ;-) you just keep going till you get it right - 50w is my max too if I need it.

    73' Peter

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts