Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Something about Blogger

Blogger is an easy going platform for bloggers. The service is great nowadays without too much problems and it is free. I tried Wordpress several times, but you can’t change the template like Blogger does, unless you pay for it to change the CSS.

But nothing is perfect, and there is always something to complain about. Such as the Followers / members widget. It’s a bit strange, what’s the use of that widget. Okay, I can see who is following me... I can’t change something with that widget, so I let it be. Just placed it on the blog.

But the real annoying thing is the comments. We are experienced enough to know how to do it. But for a non-Blogger user it’s a pain in the ass. That’s why you see seldom a reaction / comment from a non-Blogger user. Choose an Identity. Huh? OpenID, Huh? Name/ URL (WTF is an URL) Well, I know, but... Okay, Anonymous then. Most non-Blogger users take the Anonymous identity. See how Wordpress do it, so easy and understandable for anyone. Come on Blogger do something about it, you can do it too.

Just enter your comment and hit post comment, so easy with Wordpress.

Another thing: WORD VERIFICATION. I know: SPAMMERS fear, but how many times do you get a spammer. In the 3 years of Blogging no Word Verification here, I got 1 Spam comment, which I removed forever. No problem. Why make it so user-unfriendly to comment. Don’t be so paranoid. A SPAM massage is removed very quickly. Please, undo Word Verification now! You don’t know how? I like to tell you.

Moderation... Oh no! Why? One who gives a comment like to see immediately his comment on your blog. He doesn’t want to wait 24 hours before showing up his comment. He won’t come back in most cases. I like to read the other comments too, but I’ll have to wait until the moderator have read and checked his comments before he publish. If you want more feedback on your blog, stop moderation. Why moderate at all? To see if someone wrote the right thing? When someone comments something you don’t like, remove the message and blocked that person if needed.

Because I like the guys on my blog list, I take the effort to comment, how user unfriendly it is. But when I surf on the Net, and came across a Blogger blog, I don’t comment immediately. Unless I am eager to ventilate my opinion. So, that was my story about Blogger and how to use it effective, don’t feel too much offended, it is nothing personal.

18 comments:

  1. Paul,

    Blogger heeft het eigenlijk zo ingericht dat alleen "members" kunnen reageren.
    Als dit niet zo was kregen je misschien meer reactie. Al hoewel, ik heb in het verleden reacties gehad van bezoekers zonder membership.

    73, Tjeerd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Tjeerd, die exclusiviteit van Blogger mag wel wat minder. Het roept wel bij de vraag op: hoe komt het dan dat je nu minder reacties krijgt? Toch misschien de gebruikers onvriendelijkheid? 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zeker, het is niet echt toegankelijk voor een snelle reactie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting observations, Paul. I would like to acknowledge that I have read someone's blog entry even though I don't express an opinion. Most often because I am fairly ignorant of the subject matter posted and can't intelligently contribute. That gizmo thing sometimes found after a blog entry...usually something like "cool" etc. can be clicked so the author will know that their entry was read even though no written comment appeared. For amateur radio blogs a "QSL" gizmo would be nice.

    73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Paul, I did not realize the trouble non blogger had to go through to send a simple comment. I have toyed with the idea of using Word Press at times but never did get around to it. As for the comments I just went to my settings and removed the moderation it was a convincing argument you made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10/12/2011

    Paul, ik ga het eens proberen om alles uit te zetten. Ergens heb je wel gelijk. Maar als ik teveel spam krijg gaat alles zo weer op de oude stand. Wat betreft het commentaar van Geert is het volgens mij voor niet leden van gmail of blogger gewoon mogelijk om met anonymous een reactie achter te laten. (Ik zal het hiermee eens proberen)73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Het werkt dus...)
    Paul, ik heb me suf gezocht naar die instellingen van de reacties. Als jij ze weet te vinden dan hoor ik het graag? 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dick, the same here. I do not always comment. The same arguments you bring in. A ham gizmo would be nice. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mike, I hope I can convince some of the bloggers. It makes commenting a little easier. Thanks. Of course everybody is free to do what he wants to do with his own blog. Hi. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. hallo Bas, het wordt moeilijk zonder Gmail account. Het bericht als test toont anonymous. Dat vind ik niet mooi, tenzij iemand anoniem wil zijn natuurlijk. Zie Wordpress hoe simpel het ook kan. Ik heb een filmpje gemaakt hoe reacties in te stellen of beheren bij Blogger. Op mijn Youtube PC4T kanaal. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul, I have sometimes had emails from people who said they had difficulty posting a comment, but I don't know why. I haven't personally had any problem with Blogger-hosted blogs.

    I think the anti-spam measures are necessary. Despite the captcha I do get some comment spam in my blog, which I delete as soon as I receive the email notification. Most spams are caught because I use an option to moderate comments to posts more than 14 days old. I would not want to allow unmoderated comments without any kind of spam check.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julian, non-Blogger users have difficulties posting a comment sometimes. When one have a Gmail account then also no problems. What about spam, I do not have captcha for over 3 years now, and really no spam. Maybe I am lucky. 73 paul

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hallo Paul, ja ik heb je filmpje bekeken. Maar dat gaat niet werken. Want zo heb ik alles al staan. Ik denk dat je het alleen kan instellen in de oude interface. Daar kan je ook aangeven of je ook de captcha code wil gebruiken of niet. Die mogelijkheid kan ik in de nieuwe interface niet meer terugvinden. Ik zoek nog even verder. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  14. hallo Bas, dat is mij bekend dat je ook kan kiezen voor een reactie mogelijkheid zonder captcha. Ik hoor het wel. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do what Julian does, no moderation except for posts over 14 days old. Fortunately (I guess) my blog is not so popular to attract much spam.

    I wonder about the Google Friends widget, too. I got 6 followers within the first few weeks of my ham radio blog and then nothing more. Seems kind of useless, but you hate to get rid of it now that there are some followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Casey, I let the widget on my page too. I did have with Twitter 125 followers in several weeks. And 19 on my blog after 3 years. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Paul,

    I had to turn comment moderation on, even though I didn't want to. I was getting too much spam from Chinese pharmaceutical sites and links to Chinese "Adult" sites. I'd definitely prefer to have comments moderation off; but I also want Hams to feel that it's safe for their kids to look around without being exposed to garbage.

    Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Larry, I can remember that you had Chinese garbage on your blog comments. I can understand you don't want that any more. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts