Friday, September 23, 2011

MV-5+3 vertical antenna

My new antenna is a Sand Piper MV- 5+3 vertical multiband Ground Plane. It was nice priced, so worth spending some euro’s for it. Reviews at eHam are 4,5 /5 that’s a pretty good score. (Read eHam info) The antenna is very light weighted. The assembling time was in about 15 minutes. And it was easy to set up on my own.

The Falcon 250B was too heavy to place the antenna on a pole on my own. Because of the light weighted parts of the MV-5+3 antenna, it doesn’t feel like solid state. I hope it will hold in autumn storms here at the coast. But maybe I am wrong, we’ll see. First results are good. I don’t expect much for 40 meters, but 30 meter and higher is fine. With my end fed for 40-20-10 m I put a signal out on other bands with a tuner, but reception was poor. So I needed a better solution for 30-17-12 meter WARC bands. Especially in the weekends to avoid contesting.

WSPR on 30 meter: I did receive stations on 30 meter! With the end fed almost no reception on 30 m. Now I do. Also on 17 meter the antenna tunes fine. I heard LU1DZ on 14060 KHz in QSO with GW0VSW. With the vertical was LU1DZ much stronger then with the end fed wire. Distance 11.472 km.

This morning with JT65A I was reported with the End Fed only in Europe on 20 meter, when I switched to MV-5+3 I was reported into VK, ZL and USA. I think there is more lower angle radiation with the vertical. So far I am not dissatisfied. More tests to come.

Under the black line is the End Fed Wire, above the black line the MV-5+3 antenna. What else can I say? The total length of the MV-5+3 antenna is approximately 3,2 meter. Not bad for a relatively small antenna.

16 comments:

  1. Hallo Paul, dat is wel een verschil zeg. De antenne lijkt wat fragiel, maar vangt natuurlijk ook minder wind. Openingshoek is beter voor DX, dat is wel te merken. Met welk programma maak jij die filmpjes? Ziet er mooi uit. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Bas, dat fragiele had ik ook een beetje, ik hoop dat ie stormen zal overleven. Maar goed we zien wel. Ik maak de filmpjes met een Sony HX9V camera. AVCHD 1080i 50p HD filmpjes die ik gewoon met Windows Movie Maker verder afmaak. Renderen als WMV file, andere mogelijkheden zijn er ook niet. Soms met Cyberlink Powerdirector 9, en opslaan als HD mp4 films, maar zo'n beetje van dezelfde kwaliteit als WMV files. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul. Many years ago I had a similar antenna top loaded for several bands. It was very good. I look forward to reading your reports with this antenna,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julian, I will test the antenna. The critics on the internet are good. But 1 month ago I had never heard of this antenna before. Isn't strange? 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,

    Glad the antenna is working well for you. I don't know how your end-fed was oriented, but I'll bet that the Sand Piper is giving you a much lower TO angle. How does the background noise compare between EF and the MV?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Paul, A vertical works great for DX. I once used a center fed 10 mtrs long vertical dipole. For DX this is much better than the Inverted Vee. Hope your MV-5+3 give you many enjoyable DX QSO's.
    73, Bert

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Casey, the end fed gives more noise, the MV is quieter and I can pick up easier weaker stations. I think polarization is also a matter. So far I am satisfied for what it does. I do not have measurement tools to examine the antenna, so I have to check the results. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo Bert, ik zal de antenne de komende tijd goed uit testen en resultaten vergelijken met de end fed. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Paul, nice to know you bought a Sandpiper. I have been looking at this antenna for a long time as they seem to be very good. But never bought one as it had to be ordered from over the Channel. I saw that it can be bought in the Netherlands now, might order one myself.

    Just waiting for some storm to find out if your antenna is still on the pole...
    HI...

    73, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  10. hallo Kees, we zullen zien of ie blijft staan met storm... ;-) Ik heb de antenne gekocht bij Wimo in Duitsland. Ik heb vaker met hun zaken gedaan, en gunstiger in prijs dan om vanuit Engeland te bestellen. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mogge Paul,
    Dolstra heeft ze ook al een tijdje in het assortiment. Maar weer geen prijzen te vinden...
    Goed om te weten dat Wimo ze ook heeft, dat geeft wat houvast qua prijs.

    73, Kees

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul,

    Deze antenne heeft ziet er hoopvol uit. De End-fed is even leuk maar dan wil je meer.

    Donderdagochtend heb ik nog op 430.225 geroepen, ik kreeg de repeater met moeite open. Er was een PD../p die even riep.

    Kees, bestaat de winkel Dolstra nog?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hallo Kees, ja Dolstra heeft ook meestal wel een aardig assortiment. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hallo Tjeerd, ik had af en toe geluisterd op de repeater maar je niet gehoord of misgelopen. Vandaag iemand gesproken over Heerhugowaard repeater die vanaf 70 cm uit Lelystad over deze repeater kwam. Dus vanuit Schoorl zou toch moeten lukken, zou je denken. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Paul,

    Thank you for sharing your experiences so far. I had known about Sand Piper aerials for some time, and look at the MV series, but never took the plunge to buy one ... yet. They are relatively inexpensive, and seem to be very good as you are showing. Most of my aerials are home made, but you need lots of time to do that and I don't at the moment.

    How high is your MV5+3 mounted? I also think the metal pole it is on might be working like a counterpoise.

    vy 73

    André

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi André, the MV antenna is 6 meters up. Not very high. Indeed the pole could function as a counterpoise. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts