Friday, July 8, 2011

Sloping sunspot cycle?

Roger G3XBM said “I am more convinced than ever that the peak of cycle 24 has already passed and we are now on the downwards slope.” I don’t think so. It's too early for such a gloomy point of view. When you look at the info about the sunspot cycle than I think the best is yet to come. An active sun can give good propagations but also sometimes geomagnetic disturbances what gives poor conditions or radio black outs on HF. But if Roger is right, then we should pay more attention for the lower bands such as 160 meter, or 80 meter.

7 comments:

  1. The way I look at it is....we have no control over the cycle on where it is going and how long it will last. My view is ride the wave no matter how intense or weak it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, indeed, that's a good point of view. You will never know what HF will do. It's always a surprise. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jspiker7/09/2011

    I'm also confused....worked my third station in Bulgaria (5,000+ miles) this afternoon. It's been a short burst, just hope it holds out for a few days more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, As you see, suddenly nice things can happen. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys

    Bit like 6m - never know what its going to throw at you (If anything)... Fingers crossed - I had a surprise last night though worked NP4 and YV on 20m CW - went to bed happy!

    73' Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peter, I like to be surprised. Just like you. Have a nice weekend, 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Paul, As long as the sun shines, there will be a reflective layer. I just made some contest QSO's in the IARU HF World Championship.
    UA4 and VY with 360 mW, AA3B and K1EA with 2.7 watt. Further UA3 and YU with only 80 mW, using the attenuator. Enjoy the propagation and the acivity to have great fun with the lowest possible power. hi
    73, Bert

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts