Friday, February 18, 2011

Aurora, no... not yet

I promised the children that, when the sky is clear, we would go to the beach to see aurora at 24 hours UTC, maybe. At the beach there is almost no city light. But there was too much overcast and a full moon light disturbance if it was clear, and no aurora was reported anyway. I was listen last night on 2 meter with FSK441 on 144.370 MHz. And I keep an eye on Sherlock DX page. Only EME. It was full moon. I have never seen aurora in my life before. I want to see aurora before I die. There is a discussion going on at WSPR site about the effect of aurora on WSPR signals. This morning I saw also some wider signals on 80 meter.

It is very interesting. Is the signal really wider or it is two signals close together. It is something to keep a eye on. The effect of the latest sunburst of February 4th, seems to be disappointing. Almost no aurora was reported. I think there will be no HF blackout either.

4 comments:

  1. Heb gisteren ook nog gekeken of ik Aurora zag, maar helaas. Ik heb het jaren geleden 1x gezien bij mijn ouders die hier 30km vandaan wonen 's avonds om een uur of 11. Op de radio waren toen de signalen vreselijk vervormd (SSB), dus als je dat hoort moet je zeker gaan kijken. Zag net een MUF van 33 MHz, dus ben benieuwd naar evt. DX? Helaas moet ik de hele dag werken, misschien morgen weer even tijd voor radio. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/18/2011

    The Auora is really quite a sight. I've seen a few from my northern NYS QTH. 73 Dick N2UGB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Bas, het was bewolkt hier, dus helaas. Ja, condities op 10 meter. Ik had de WSPR aan gezet op 10 meter. Ik ben ontvangen in Australiƫ visa versa door verschillende stations uit VK. Geweldig! Dat is de eerste keer als zend amateur dat ik VK heb op 10 meter. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dick, you're lucky. I hope to see it one day. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts