Thursday, January 6, 2011

Donner's Digital Interface

I have all sorts of considerations for the hobby this year. Will I go for the digital modes this year? Or more CW and sometimes SSB. Or both? QRV on all bands (almost) or only a few e.g. only 20 meter for HF and 6 meter VHF (and 2 meter local)? One thing is sure: the power will be limited (low power < 40 watts or QRP 5 watts or less) I still work old fashion. Though I managed to work digital modes, I use the K7AGE method. Very simple with PTT / VOX and mic. One audio cable and a simple computer mic for reception. Why? I couldn’t get the rig CAT controlled. Blue screens, unstable OS. Ham Radio de Luxe would be fine, all automatic, but not for me. I have a ETM-Digi-1 interface but I can’t get it work for me. I have no description and a few jumpers... aargh. But now, I came across the video of K2FR. He shows how to set up a Donner’s digital interface for his FT-450. Finally found! So I ordered a Donner’s Digital Interface for only 52,22 euro’s including shipping costs. So I hope that this will work for me. eHam gives a good review about this interface. I think it will take awhile before the interface is in my shack. I think a week or 6. But I don’t mind. I started the year slowly. I made some SSB and JT65 QSO’s. Nothing special.

12 comments:

  1. Good morning Paul, Nice to see you have some thoughts on the new year and ham radio. I found myself sitting down and doing the same over the holidays....funny thing was the goals seemed to be the same ones I planned the year before. Does that mean I dropped the ball on my 2010 goals or they were big goals and take more than just one year to complete.....the "big goal" idea makes me sleep better...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mike, just do what you have in mind. My goals are also a bit the same as last year... ;-) Maybe more digital modes to explore. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Paul, niet duur zo een modem. Goedkoper dan de modems van ZLP. Maar....ik neem aan dat de audio kabels niet geïsoleerd zijn met een trafo (is ook niet echt nodig hoor). En welke computer heeft tegenwoordig nog een serieële poort? Dan zijn er 2 mogelijkheden, of je installeert een kaart met serieële poorten of je koopt een USB naar serieel converter. En daar begint het geknoei dan weer met drivers etc. Ik hoop dat het allemaal meevalt en alles zo gaat als in het filmpje. Voordeel is wel dat de FT450 een digi vox heeft. Dat scheelt weer geknoei met een 2e serieële poort voor het TX schakelen. Ben erg benieuwd....73, Bas

    PS: Vind die FT450 nog steeds een heel mooie radio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Bas, ik ben ook benieuwd. De kabeltjes nu zijn ook niet geïsoleerd. Ik heb op mijn nieuw PC wel een seriële poort, dus ik hoef geen USB + drivers. Voor ruim 50 euries wil ik het wel uitproberen. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul:

    About the FT450 - I run HRD and the SB2000 i/face, it has all cabling supplied for the rig you specify - it has DB9 for rig/cat control plus usual audio leads - its all very straight forward and works fine (DB9 plugs are pin to pin not as in null modem) and of course it works in other programs as well.

    73's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peter, yes I know, there is a lot of interfaces on the market, but from a lot I don't know how to connect properly and because of the video in my posting, now I now how to do the right set-up for my FT-450. It's not in the manual of the FT-450. It's an omission I think. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul,
    I connected the FT450 via the DATA outlet on the back of the FT450.
    Ref. page 74 of the operation manual (" Misc AFSK-based data modes ").
    Cable to connect DATA outlet to PC-soundcard can be purchased via e-bay. Adjust "DIG VOX" to 80. No extra PTT line required. No expensive interface required. I use this setup for a year now and it runs in combination with the free-software FliDigi (which supports the FT450).
    73 de Ron
    PA2RF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo Ron, met de DATA outlet bedoel je de seriële uitgang? Of is dat met die 6 pins uitgang? Afijn, ik heb nu toch die interface al besteld. ;-) Maar bedankt voor de suggestie om het op deze manier te doen. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1/07/2011

    Hello Paul

    For my TS480 i using interface from radioarena,
    good quality and not very expensive !
    Look to http://radioarena.co.uk/

    HNY, 73 de Eric F1ABE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hallo Paul,
    Ja dat is de 6-pins mini din connector helemaal links achterop de FT450. Als ik het filmpje goed begrijp krijg je ook zo'n connector als ik beschreef en als extra een kabel voor de seriele connector zodat je ook CAT kunt bedrijven.
    73 de Ron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hallo Ron, ja, klopt. OK, op een of andere manier moet het toch uiteindelijk gaan lukken. Goed plan voor 2011. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Eric, thanks for the link, I will take a look at it. Also HNY! 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts