Thursday, November 18, 2010

New DX record on 80 meter

The grey zone period on 80 meter is very interesting for catching dx. For a lot of radio amateurs is the 80 meter band a local rag chew band. I hardly work with phone, so I like WSPR and JT65 for the lower bands. This morning I got a new DXCC with WSPR (5 watt) on 80 meter and I was reported by ZL1JA, distance 18.649 km. I was really thrilled. New Zealand is my antipodal location. I can make more miles, but then via long path. I presume this a short path propagation. I always look at qrz.com for the bio and location of the radio amateur. And with Google maps and street view you can search for antennas.

And yes, here it is. The antennas of ZL1JA. I hope I will not infringe his privacy with publishing his QTH picture. You can't see my antennas with street view because at that time when they shoot the pictures I had no antennas so far. Anyway, the information is free available on the in internet. I only republish.

5 comments:

  1. Hallo Paul, gefeliciteerd dat is een hele mooie op 80m. Moet binnenkort ook maar weer eens aan de slag met WSPR. Zit jij met de nieuwste WSPR 2.11 of gebruik je nog steeds de oude? Hoorde dat er met de nieuwste WSPR nog wel eens ontvangst problemen zijn? Wat betreft die foto, ach hij is zo onduidelijk dat ik niet denk dat hij daar problemen mee heeft. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Bas, ik heb nog de 2.10 (r2198) versie. Overigens wist ik niet dat er alweer een nieuwe versie beschikbaar was. Ik zal eens kijken wat de nieuwe versie biedt. Het is soms niet noodzakelijk om een nieuwere versie te downloaden. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. VY FB Paul. Again on 80M. Where do you go from there...160M? 73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dick, 160 meter would be fine, but I do not have an antenna for it. The only solution would be an EH-antenna for 160 m. But the EH antenna is rather controversial. I don't know... 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing contact on 80 meters...
    Great catch Paul.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts