Thursday, October 21, 2010

Web SDR radio

You want a quick view on conditions on HF? And don't feel like to put up first the rig, antenna tuners, antenna switches, power supply? Then Web SDR is a fine tool. On this page you can listen to and control a short-wave receiver located at the amateur radio club ETGD at the University of Twente. In contrast to other web-controlled receivers, this receiver can be tuned by multiple users simultaneously, thanks to the use of Software-Defined Radio. You can also monitor your own QRSS signal, or others signals depending on band, distance and conditions. The SDR has a good antenna: 80 meter end fed wire. That's something I don't have. On the video you can see that I am logged in as SWL NL-1008. I was a SWL before I got my license.

This morning I worked on 40 meter with BPSK31 (5 watt) CT1BWI, F5SAZ/QRP and 9A3IJ.

With JT65A I worked OE1DXA and 9A8W with 50 milliwatt on 20 meter band.

7 comments:

  1. Computers continue to bring a whole new dimension to ham radio. Would be nice if someone had a similar SDR setup over this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used that web SDR many times, but the waterfall is too fast and you cannot magnify a small piece of the band to see QRSS signals, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mike, maybe you can find some on the internet. There are several SDR's to find. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Julian, yes, that's right but I let run Argo V1 simultaneously with the SDR. That works perfect. I also use CW skimmer for CW with the SDR. I'll send you a grab of your signal from the SDR in Twente (East Netherlands, near the German border) 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are now several web SDR receivers on the net. I have used them to check propagation and to set up the audio properties of a rig by listening on headphones while I played with the settings on my rig. I frequently use them to expand my listening capabilities when I am listening for several SOTA stations alerted at the same time. Most useful of the lot was an interesting technical discussion I was tuned to. I had one side of the conversation on my own rig and the other on the web SDR. I could have only heard half the QSO otherwise and not picked up the good advice from these guys that solved a problem I had.

    73 Steve GW7AAV

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello Steve, that's great. It is very useful. Another SDR from Eindhoven (see link in my side bar) I use for propagations check, on 2 meter and 10 meter. Very nice. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul, great link and comments, I must check some of these SDR's out.

    73 Paul.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts