Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Monitoring 14.060 KHz

I was monitoring 14.060 KHz for a short while around 20.45 UTC. In the early evening we had severe thunderstorms and lightning, so I had disconnected my antennas. When it was over I heard several stations on 14.060 KHz. Very strong was K1FVP sometimes 599 but also strong QSB and no copy at all. But 50% of the QSO was OK. He was in QSO with SQ8MZW. I wrote him a e-mail and he answered:

"Thank you very much for the report. I was just running 18 watts with my Ten-Tec Argonaut V into a Hy-Gain AV-620 vertical antenna up about 10 meters off the ground. Perhaps we will QSO sometime soon."

A few minutes before this QSO I was calling CQ, but I think he didn't hear me. I also heard IT9QAU/QRP and two Dutch stations. 20 minutes later the band was silent again.

3 comments:

  1. Propagation before and after a severe electrical storm can be very interesting.

    73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dick, it was indeed a very strange phenomenon. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one of the aspects that makes the hobby interesting and a challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts