Thursday, September 16, 2010

Almost

I put the Hy End Fed Antenna on a higher point. Now 28 feet high and the lowest point about 7 feet, so it hangs like a sloper antenna. The SWR now is 1:1 over the entire 20 meter band without a tuner. But when I was almost finished, my ladder slipped away and I almost fell to the ground. I must have an guardian angel. But I am still here in one piece. Conditions are still poor on 20 meter. At 22 o'clock local time I heard only one SSB station. A few PSK and CW. At 10 o'clock UTC I heard EA6FG/QRP (see photo) on 14060 KHz. He had a qso with GB2NFM, which I didn't hear. I called him and we made a nice QRP QSO. He was only running 500 milliwatt into a 3 elements yagi. I was running 5 watt into the Hy End Fed Antenna. By the way, I can work with the Hy End Fed Antenna also on 15, 12 and 10 meter with a tuner. On 15 meter I worked UA6CET with BPSK31, and RZ6AUJ on 20 meter with JT65A.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you're OK. We can't afford to lose any more bloggers! When I read about your near-accident it makes me think that, whatever the shortcomings may be, I'm glad I only have attic antennas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no good on ladders. Instant sick feeling in my legs.

    The sloper should favor the direction of the slope. The 28 feet in height is very good.

    Be sure the instructions for your end-fed antenna say ok for multi-band use. The Par version does not recommend theirs for multi-band use. Only mono-band.

    73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see you are having fun. I agree with Dick, be careful using on other bands. If the SWR is high, even if the ATU makes it OK for the radio you could have problems with the end fed antenna matching unit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,

    Nou, dat is heel goed afgelopen.
    Leuke antenne, nu condx nog. Het anders ophangen zal ook zijn vruchten afwerpen.

    73, Tjeerd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Paul - I know all about ladders !
    Be careful using on other bands.
    Keep us posted

    73 Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Julian, well that is sure an advantage. If my daughter haven't had a room in the attic, I surely would use it for antennas. ;-) 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Dick, in fact is the Hy end fed antenna a monoband antenna. When I use it for other bands the principle of the end fed is gone. It is no longer resonant. The antenna should have counterpoises when using a tuner. In fact then it is a wire with a coil. The coax shield will radiate with chance on LFI problems. The matchbox is a LC Circuit and best results are when I use the antenna as a monobander. That's the story told by PA3EKE about using a tuner. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello André: read my comment above here by Dick. In principle the antenna is a mono band antenna. I should be, for best results, used as a mono band antenna. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo Tjeerd, absoluut. Vanmiddag ondanks slechte condx toch de Filipijnen gewerkt met 35 watt JT65A. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Peter, the antenna is ready for use. No need to go up again. I hate ladders and heights. The Hy End Fed Antenna is in principle a mono band antenna, and should be used as such. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sound like you are getting great results with the antenna and not so good with the ladder...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mike, I am very happy with this new antenna, so simple, so effective, so stealth. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts