Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Perseid Meteor Shower

This year's Perseid meteor shower peaks on Aug. 12-13, and it promises to be one of the best displays of the year. If forecasters are correct, the shower should produce a peak display of at least 80 meteors per hours. (link) When the sky is clear and no clouds, go out there to see this spectacular sight. Best time to watch is in the early morning between 2 and 5 AM. If your station is suitable for Meteor scatter (Enough power >25 watts and horizontal polarized antennas) using FSK441 for 2 meter, you can make nice contacts. I wonder what WSPR can do on 10 meter or 6 meter. It would be a nice experiment, but I think WSPR activity on 10 meter is too low to make ionospheric scatter interesting. Tonight I see a gig in Paradiso, Amsterdam of The Animals with Eric Burdon. I like that sixties music. Oh Boy, they are getting old, and so do I. I am afraid I will have not too much sleep... Last night I worked on 40 meter with PSK31: DG8PD, RZ3DVP, SP3AXJ/3 and SP3JSD. On 80 meter: DL6ØDARC. This morning there was an opening on 15 meter. I worked RA9WJ with PSK31, distance 3320 km. Two hours later the band was closed again.
At 14.35 I worked OK1HAS Ludi from Hradek, Czech republic on 40 meter with CW. There was a lot of QSB on the signal and it was difficult to copy sometimes.

6 comments:

  1. JT6M is the one to use on 6m. Listen on 50.230 USB. I should think it could be used on 10m as well but I don't know if there is an established frequency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Julian,

    I could listen on 6 meter with JT6M, or 2 meter FSK411. The forecast is clear weather so far, maybe I am outside.

    73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meteor scatter has always seemed like an interesting radio exercise. I hope our skies are clear for good viewing.

    I like the clean look of this new blog page. Very easy to read.

    73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dick,

    I don't promise I keep it that way, hi. But indeed is a clear page.

    73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/11/2010

    On 4m, 70.230 MHz seems to be the home frequency for JT6M. Unfortunately RX only in PA-country.
    73 Ron
    PA2RF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoi Ron,

    Dat is nou jammer... ja, ik heb het wel eens zien staan, die activiteiten op 70 MHz.

    73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts