Friday, June 4, 2010

Noctilucent clouds

Could noctilucent clouds reflect radio waves? Just like Es? Is there a correlation between Es and noctilucent clouds? Noctilucent clouds are known to exhibit high radar reflectivity, in a frequency range of 50 MHz to 1.3 GHz. [read more] “There is a well-known correlation between noctilucent clouds and the solar cycle. NLC activity tends to peak during (and just after) years of solar minimum, possibly because low solar activity allows the upper atmosphere to cool, promoting the growth of ice crystals that make up the clouds.” [Spaceweather.com] Late spring and summer are the best seasons to watch these clouds. Just look at the western sky 15 – 30 minutes after sunset on a clear day without ‘normal’ clouds. I hope I can photograph the clouds myself this year.

Read more about Noctilucent clouds.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there nice blog, Ive changed my blog link

    http://urban-ex.blogspot.com/2010/06/ft817-and-were-away.html

    73

    ReplyDelete
  2. I change the link in my blogroll. Thanks, 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts