Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Long live QRP

Also on 10 meter QRO rules. It a bit craziness that all that stations pile up for stations I work every day on 40 or 20 meter. Nothing special, just another European stations. No super dx from other continents. Why all that fuss? Only because it Es? It seems that the more power = is less information. Only exchange of name and locater. OK, I try to understand, maybe the Es is for a short while. And you want to work many stations as possible, isn't it? What counts is quantity and not quality of the qso. What a relief to hear IZØIWP/QRP with PSK31 as only station on 10 meter, because it very early and the QRO guys were polish up their lineairs or finals. We had a FB QSO and we took all the time for a proper 2 way qrp QSO. Thank you Max! I had made several qso's on 17, 15, 20 and 40 meter with CW, SSB, PSK31 and RTTY.

9 comments:

  1. Hallo Paul,

    Yep, QRP or at least mid-power-level stations often do seem more interested in a longer QSO don't they. Can't wait for the field-day. I will have to hurry to get that Wonder Wand I think. I am very, seriously tempted. Glad you had a good QSO to Italy. Bye for now, keep cool, Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    I think it has always been the same during the Es. It is worst on 6 metres when you are lucky if you get the other guys name. Normally it is just a locator square!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Adam, I am curious for the Wonder Wand, that's for sure. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kevin, I like the Magic band but when I hear all this going on I am demotivated to go on for hours calling in vain. (Only when I go for 100 watt then they hear me, but I don't wanna) 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand why people want to keep exchanges short and to the minumum during Sporadic-E. The propagation is short and fleeting and they want to try to work as many different locations as they can, while they can. It can actually be frustrating while waiting to work someone on 6m - and even more so on 2m - if someone starts giving out name, QTH, rig, antenna etc. 10m is not so bad and propagation should be solid enough to allow longer contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Julian: I understand it too, but nevertheless I don't like this way of radio operations. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoe meer power hoe minder informatie. Ik denk dat je met zoveel vermogen gewoon geen lange doorgangen kan maken. Niet alleen vanwege de warmte ontwikkeling maar ook vanwege de storing die men er mee veroorzaakt...
    73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo Bas, hi... ja dat zou ik ook doen. Over het algemeen zijn de digimodes amateurs een stuk vriendelijker in het maken van qso's. Minder jachtig en nerveus. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd prefer a QSO to a short exchange any day. The longer the better.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts