Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Increasing Sun Activity

Astrophotographers capturing the recent annular solar eclipse on January 15, 2010 got an added bonus: upon closer inspection, they found sunspot 1040 also showed up on their images, too. [Source: Universe Today]
The Sun comes awake for a long period of inactivity. Finally we face new possibilities to work with low power and good propagations. I think that this summer we can work on 15-10 and 6 meters. You can check propagations with Ham Cap 1.7 and it is freeware. You can find an example on the web site of Infotechcomms. Created by GØKYA. //// I am a early riser so I checked 80 meter at 5 o'clock. I heard F5RRS Damien from Saint-Pierre-en-Faucigny, France, calling CQ. I called him and he did hear me. We made a QSO with CW. The last few days I am very lucky on 80 meters. Considering my poor 80 meter antenna and qrp 5 watt, then it is not bad at all.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info Paul. Looks like an interesting propagation source. And, congrats on the 80M "F" catch. I will probably never operate on 80M because of restricted space at home or abroad.

    72/73 Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ham Cap uses the same VOACAP model as my own program VOAProp which is also freeware. But I long ago came to the conclusion that you can't forecast propagation using a computer program. These programs can only show where propagation is most likely to occur. But it is the fleeting chance of a contact with somewhere unexpected that is of greatest interest to most of us, and the only way to detect such openings is to listen or monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dick, It's a pity you can't come out on 80 meters, because it is a nice band to work on. But I understand your restricted area for antenna. This F station was near (below)Geneva. 73 Paul

    Hello Julian, yes, you are right. It's a indication what is possible. But the best method is listen and you will be surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts