Friday, November 6, 2009

WSPR QSO?

I spotted RXØAT with PSK31 on 20 meter, a distance of 5341 km. With PSK-reporter I do spotted 40 countries since Tuesday. This morning I was heard on 80 meter PSK31 by G4FUI. Normally I can't really work on 80 meter because of inadequate antenna. With WSPR I can make a few hundreds of kilometers. I read on Julian's blog (G4ILO) about making a QSO with WSPR. When I have been spotted by a station and the data is uploaded (a fact a confirmation) and a few minutes later I received that station and upload the data also to www.wsprnet.org, then you can call it a basic qso. OK, it's a unmanned station, but is is a two way confirmed transmission about call sign, locater and used power. It's a new way of making contacts with ham radio, and has nothing to do with the old school ham radio, though, I like that too. With that assumption I made a WSPR QSO on 40 meter last night with RA3ZSE (2275km) and on 80 meter with GØIUW and DL3DTH. Opponents can assert that a two way WSPR isn't a QSO. Only by the ham operators effort there is a QSO. But when I hear a SSB or CW DX QSO they exchange only call sign and RST. On both sides they confirm Call Sign and RST, so I do see no difference really. There is with WSPR only a new technique, using nowadays technology to do so. So whats the point. We do exchange the same information. Today in the Netherlands it is 'Good News Day' and my good news is: there arrived a new sunspot 1030. And it could make my day or weekend. I tried RTTY on my FT817 in combination with Fldigi and it works! On 20 meter I worked with CW YU1DW and US1GBH [listen - I recorded this short QSO] Have a nice day, 73 Paul

8 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,
    I am pretty new to WSPR myself and its a great piece of software isn't it?
    I think the reason WSPR is not seen as a QSO is because you don't know who has heard your signal until you check the internet. Without the internet it doesn't work. I think when we are running WSPR it is more like running a beacon. When we are listening on WSPR we are like SWLS, but there is no two-way contact.

    73 Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kevin, it is really wonderful software. But what about confirmation: you take the Internet not serious as confirmation source? I do for instance payments by the Internet and banking. I think there is nothing wrong with it. While I am running WSPR I check immediately wsprnet.org [online] And I check the screen of WSPR software to see what I received. OK, there is a delay of a few minutes. But that is also with EME moon-bouncing. Example: when you chat with MSN on the Internet, you don't call it a two way contact? The moment I see which station comes in at WSPRNET, it's a QSL for me. 73, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,
    I also am new at WSPR and like the prog alot.It's a propagation checker.
    Last night i had it running on 40M with my PKW MHF1e40 Rotary dipole for 40M.
    It's on my roof at 9 meters above the ground,steady in North-West...South-East Direction.

    Got nice spots in from NA and also,early in the evening a few VK stations.I was also received in VK with 10Watts.

    73's Bernard PD7BZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Paul,

    Amazing hearing Siberia on PSK. Great. Great reports on WSPR as well. Glad you are having some success on 80M. I miss not having access to that band as I like a good old "Inter-G" natter from time to time! 73 and bye for now, Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Paul, de discussie over het wel of geen QSO met WSPR is nog niet over. Er zijn voor en tegenstanders. Wat betreft het QSO zoals jij het je voorstelt heb je gelijk, je tegenstation ontvangt jou en jij ontvangt het tegenstation. Het bewijs staat in de database op wsprnet.org. Maar daar wringt het toch wel echt. Zonder internet is er geen QSO, dat trekt het maken van een QSO met WSPR weer gelijk met bijvoorbeeld CQ100. Alhoewel er toch een draadloze radioverbinding word gemaakt. Eigenlijk zou WSPR uitgebreid moeten worden met een QSO mode. Waarbij de reciproke ontvangst automatisch in een logboek komt te staan dat gekoppeld is aan het WSPR programma. Het programma HRD met het daarbijbehorende DM780 digitale modus programma krijgt in de toekomst wel de ondersteuning voor WSPR. Misschien dat het dan ooit zover komt dat we er ook een QSO mee kunnen maken. Voorlopig zou je het eens kunnen proberen met WSJT. Al haalt dat het met signaal verwerking nog niet bij WSPR. 73 Bas PE4BAS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Bernhard, WSPR is zo goed dat je met minder dan 5 watt de hele wereld rond komt. Als propagatie checker is het eigenlijk te goed. ;-) Dan hecht ik meer waarde aan PSK-reporter om te zien of de condities goed zijn.

    Hello Adam, in fact I like all modes. It's hard to make a choice. But that is not necessary, I do what I like at that particularly moment. PSK-reporter is fun.

    Hoi Bas, CQ100 is niet echt ham radio, vind ik. WSPR is ten minste nog dat je een signaal de lucht ingooit. Het zou mooi zijn om een QSO mode te hebben. Ik heb idd naar WSJT7 gekeken maar dan kan ik toch niet veel mee. Hoewel daar ook een WSPR mode op zit. JT65A zou nog het beste zijn maar dan moet je van te voren een afspraak met iemand maken voor een sked. Dat haalt het spontane weg. Ik heb nog geen ervaring met DM780 van HRD. Het lijkt me goed klinken.
    73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    There is a 'true' WSPR QSO mode in WSJT7 now.

    You exchange callsigns and reports and, until you decode the other persons callsign, your WSPR QSO system doesn't use the callsign.

    S, you do not need to check on the internet to make a QSO.

    If anyone would like to try it please nominate an 80M frequency and I'll look out for your signals.

    73 - Dave (G0DJA)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Dave, I like to do a WSPR QSO with WSPR WSJT7 (WSJT8 is on his way) maybe we could try Tuesday night on 80 meter, let me know what time and frequency. 73, Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts