Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The CR antenna.

W3BCW reported my tiny little signal on 40 meter with WSPR and my new antenna: CR antenna. And CR stands for Curtain Rail. How low profile can a radio amateur be? I defy physical laws, and antenna theory. I just tune with the Miracle Whip a aluminum curtain rail in the living room, and I have a perfect SWR and RF output. Only from 30 meter and lower bands. 20 meter or higher doesn't work. 30 and 40 meter are perfect. After 2 minutes I was reported by W3BCW, W3HH and W9HLY (6165 7285 and 6509 km) with WSPR on 30 meter. You can't say the Curtain Rail doesn't radiate. So back to 40 meter, I heard SN7├śR with CW, I called him and he returned immediately with a 599 report. With PSK31 I worked SP2SGN and SA4AVS on 40 meter. I'm still amazed about this performance.

3 comments:

  1. Paul, Who would believe that your CR antenna could be so effective! Good old Miracle Whip for tuning it up. I wonder how the CR antenna will be with SSB? BTW, I have just ordered my Par End Fedz. I went for the EF10/20/40 with an extra long radiator of 66 foot which gives extra gain on 40M (my favourite band). Altogether incl postage $99 or £61. Now I only have to wait. Keep us informed of your successes with "CR" antenna! Bye for now, Adam
    PS Thanks for the email - glad you have my new address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Adam, I will certainly try SSB, but conditions are so poor, that there are no readable signals at daytime. Maybe tonight. I wonder what the Par End Fedz will do. I think it's a good antenna. 73, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the same PAR 10-20-40 antenna when traveling and it works great!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts