Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Beautiful places

A few years ago we spent our holidays near Mont Saint Michel, Normandy, France. It's a very lovely place to visit. Today I worked F5KAQ/P on 40 meter with CW, one of the few stations I heard. He was working from Tombelaine Isl. in the bay of Mont Saint Michel. Last night I worked ESØIC, Meeme from Kassari Island, Estonia on 30 meter with BPSK31. Unfortunately, the second part of our QSO was lost because of heavy QSB. With WSPR I come across a lot of the same stations. Tonight 2 new stations on 30 meter: KB8UUM from Washington, DC and S51CN from Slovenia. Because the USA is a very big country, I will mention from now on from which state they come. I have now worked 6 states.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Paul,

    DC is hitting close to home...was that CW or digital?

    PSK has been an interest for me because of the "portable option". You do a great job on your contacts and I can't help but be curious about that mode.

    I used to run "packet" with a "palm top computer" (PDA). I carried it around while hiking in the mountains and kept it in my shirt pocket along with the TNC in my backpack. It worked great.

    I sent letters back and forth to a park ranger, on the other side of the US, who was running the same thing while riding a horse and checking "backwoods camping sites" for "fire violations".

    One time I worked the Russian Space Station (MIR) while sitting in a "cow pasture" watching it cross the night sky from West Virginia.

    I got a nice QSL card from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jspiker, it was a WSPR 'contact' a very nice digital mode, only 6 KHz bandwidth, and I believe that soon a basic QSO is possible. I never work with Packet before. But what you wrote sounds interesting. It's great you contacted MIR. That must be very special. Thanks for visiting my site, 73, Paul

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts