You know I have a Miracle Whip with a outside wire, hanging out of the window and a counterpoise connected to the FT817. That's the antenna condition here. I know some MW owners complain about the antenna. But what can one expect? It's a holiday antenna. Nice for vacation and so on. But it is for me the challenge what I can do with this set up. How can you be successful with a small antenna?
- Listen carefully on the band. Search up and down for a CQ call.
- When the CQ calling station is about S8 to S9 or more call him. A station below S5 will not be successful to catch.
- Do not call CQ yourself. You will have a sour throat after a while.
- The difference between 5 watt and 100 watt is 2 S-points. If the CQ calling station works 100 watt and peaks to S9 on your S-meter, you will be probably S5 to S6 on his S-meter.
- If the CQ calling station works 1 KW with a 4 el. Yagi search for another station because he will not hear you.
- Be patience...
- One QSO a day keeps the docter away. There are more things to do in life what makes life wonderful.
- Enjoy low power, and every contact is blissful and 1000 km or more is DX for us.
- And avoid QRO pile ups. You seldom come through.